Monday, June 6, 2011

Return of the Native and those bygone days

Never knew returning back is so exciting, never realized home to be a place that enchants the soul more in its absence than presence, never loved home more … standing on the threshold of going back to Kolkata perplexes my mind … time flew in its own course, captivating my mind with all its twists and turns, unfolding and covering up … and the day when I left home seems just that day … while actually 3 months have passed. Singapore welcomed me open armed, the country has a warmth, a charm that enthralled me these 3 months and actually kept me oblivious of HOME, well almost … but when today I think of going back to Kolkata, suddenly the complications starts fiddling my mind.
Home, Kolkata, maa, baba … too lucrative … just cannot wait to be there, to be with them, once more. Quite surprising! When in school, or college days, I used to push the coming back time as much as I could, just to be with friends a bit more, have fun, enjoy life … home was restrictions incarnated. How could I know that one day will come when retuning home will be the most sought after day in life, count the days when I will be back…touch maa, quarrel with her, play mischiefs with baba … and literally long for their scolding—the price for growing up!
But, even then, when I return, these 3 months also flash back, when an unusual emotional blanket cloaks me and I am reminded of a certain day when bereft of the near and dear ones I discovered new friends, shared a slice of my life with them. Unknowingly the people here, the Kopitiam, Boon Lay, Jurong Point, my colleagues, my room mates have made it to the inner core of my social circle … and suddenly I start to miss them! Its definitely interesting, what I have near me ceases to show itself up until I come at a situation when I cannot have them for long, I lose them … 3 months of work pressure and sneaking out of that to have a fresh lease of life … a time of new bonding, a time when we literally took life in our own terms … week ends film shows at the laptops with friends, awake till 3am in the morning, remaining oblivious of the time…then having breakfast in the afternoon … laze the day around, mindless shopping at Jurong Point till the point of bankruptcy, god like satisfaction after being able to buy some thing for ma baba, discovering sales at Singapore malls, zoo-night safari-bird park … new country, new places and a reckless spirit to taste life to its fullest and actually doing that with aplomb. Suddenly that ends, its over, after the vacation we come back true, but may be scattered all over Singapore … to another unknown, unforeseen future … will miss this time … it saddens…but at the same time its wonderful to think I am going home…this is an awesome feeling, the feeling of not being able to decide what and how to feel…Kolkata, Home –I missed them so much, craved to be there and now the time has come, the time for the return of the native … love both, treasure both … only that one comes at the cost of another … never mind … happy with any arrangement :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment