Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Return of the Non-Native

Life changes so fast … last January was all about excitement, anticipation, anxiety … an unseen future, an unknown country … the dawn of the new year broke with a new hope, a new vigour albeit stained with the little pain of leaving home. But the unforeseen prospect, the enchantment of a dream like realm named Singapore enveloped the mind … then came the “going away” time and I left my home, city, country to embrace the new and to be true Singapore overwhelmed me with love and acceptance.

Then suddenly came the returning home time in June and for the first time I understood how I missed my city and cared for it in the midst of thousands of complaints against the traffic, pollution etc etc. I ‘returned’ to Kolkata for a month long vacation, “the return of the native” … I enjoyed … then ‘returned back’ to Singapore …till the December came with the thrill of Indian winter … It was ‘Going” home time!

Today after shivering through my joyous days in Kolkata winter … I am ‘returning’ back to Singapore … and then it struck me…

Now I no longer “return home” … I “go there” to “return back” to Singapore …or do I return to both?

No comments:

Post a Comment